Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Anyone Running Citation II's as Mono Blocks?

"Does anyone have any experience doing the phase inverter method? I heard of this before but also heard there is sound quality issues."

Bridging, which is driving the 2 channels of a stereoblock containing a common ground with out of phase signals and connecting the speaker cables to the "hot" terminals, can work where parallel connecting the channels fails. Plenty of reports of overheating and bad sound can be found, when paralleling has been tried. :>( Bridging sums the voltage swings of the amp sections in the load. The method is particularly well suited to your situation, as you have 16 Ω speakers. As each section of a bridged amp "sees" only 1/2 of the load, 16 Ω speakers get connected to the 8 Ω speaker taps. :>) Bridging is a problem when 4 Ω speakers are on hand, as 2 Ω taps don't exist.

If your preamp has a low O/P impedance, a pair of Sowter's model 8920 transformers will take care of the split phase requirement.

http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/8920.htm

If your preamp's O/P impedance is unimpressive, you may have to build a buffer or an active electronic bridging adapter.

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Anyone Running Citation II's as Mono Blocks? - Eli Duttman 17:26:50 12/11/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.