Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

1.8 watts at 1% probably means a half-watt or so at 0.1%

Don't count it out without a good listenin'-to on decent quality, high-sensitivity loudspeakers. There are more than a few paradoxes in hifi audio, I'd opine.

I believe these R/S amps use discrete components; no we're not talking Nelson Pass/First Watt grade hardware, but I'd never recommend passing judgment without giving a listen.

As to the RIAA accuracy -- who knows?! I certainly wouldn't expect much of the on-board phono preamp section but 1) it's worth a try (no harm can be done) and 2) if the experiment implied above is tried (amp & decent loudspeakers) and the outcome is encouraging with a line-level source (e.g., a decent CD player), why the heck not try a decent, inexpensive outboard MM (or MC?!) phono preamp such as Jim Hagerman's Bugle 2. The Bugle 2 is a very fine sounding solid state phono preamp, I'd opine.

DSC_9813

One might be surprised by the outcome(s).

P2170005

Not an SA-155, but another, really cheap-jack R/S "integrated amp" that passed through the ole manse some years back. No MM phono pre in this one :-P

all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.