Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Two LEAK St20 power amps now modded and rebuilt

The amps are used to bi-amp horisontally one (pentode mode) does bass and mids, and the other treble (triode mode).

The 1970s spherical speakers I still use, no low-pass and odd order high-pass (plus Eq) using film caps and air core coils way back then.

Tuner is a 'once-was' simulcast valve rcvr, power amps off. Foster Seeley front-end with an SS MPX decoder. Wide audio bandwidth AM with a tight notch whistle filter.

Thorens TD150 TT and SME arm with damper pot and paddles. Nagaoka metal loaded dished rubber mat (Disk_MAT SE22) and GB screw-down clamp. GB used to make a special clamp and mounting for Decca cartridges.

AWE / VSE Four Valve Pre-amp in a QUAD22 box, rebuilt and modded twice. It's on its third and even bigger modern remote PSU, regulated DC and HT.

Next phase will use two pairs of the large spheres above and below a single small sphere carrying a Manger wide-range driver. Point-source array in steel rod frames - triangular in plan view. Three uprights and a triangle per sphere with a circle welded in. Middle circle will be movable back and forth.

The pentode mode amp will do bass only (<170Hz) and the other in UL will do the rest, using 3rd order semi-active line-level crossovers. ? PLL input filters at the RCA sockets after a blue-printed Nakamichi EC100.

Active third octave eq for the bass.

DSP room Eq ..... eventually / maybe? I'll be a busy bee during the allowed return period, eh? ;-)

Both the other systems in the house are vintage - see profile.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Two LEAK St20 power amps now modded and rebuilt - Timbo in Oz 20:51:42 12/08/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.