Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Rotel Integrated amp woes. Good repair shop in Chicago area??

Does anyone know of a good amplifier repair ship in the Chicago area? Last February I bought on ebay a Rotel RA-985BX integrated amp. At first I was very please with it, but soon I noticed that after about an hour or two of use, a noise develops in the left channel of the preamp. The noise is a fairly low level static similar to what you would hear on a weak FM station. It is noticeable enough to make serious listening to classical music impossible. The noise is constant in loudness no matter what the volume control setting, and if affects all sources. I took it to a repair shop near me (in the western suburbs of Chicago), but after taking a $45 fee for diagnosis and keeping the amp for two months, the shop was unable to repair the it. The guy who worked on the amp said could not find the problem. He is either deaf or lying, but he kept my $45. So I have been using the power amp section only for the last 8 months. The noise problem does not affect the power amp when it is used independently. The good stereo shops around me refuse to service amps that they did not sell. Can anyone advise?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Rotel Integrated amp woes. Good repair shop in Chicago area?? - Tadlo 08:32:30 12/08/15 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.