Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Sometimes you luck out

I wasnt familiar with Toshiba gear. Like the Mitsubishi stuff, it was never a major player. It does seem well made, however. I have not had time to listen to them yet, but I did put them on the bench to check them out. The amp is rated at 65W/Ch, but I measured about 79W RMS (8 ohms) just shy of clipping. The amp is fairly heavy, and used a toroidal transformer, not real common for early 80's consumer gear. The 665 series was their top of the line I gather from what I could dig up in the internet. The amp is DC coupled, with nary a single cap in the signal path (unless you switch in an input cap). The preamp looks good, with the typical smooth Japanese consumer feel to the controls. They use all Toshiba semiconductors (no surprise), with an odd SIP opamp for the tone controls and first stage of the output, but uses discrete transistors for the final output. The data sheet for the opamp is rather spartan, but both the preamp and power amp have over 350kHz bandwidth. I will provide more info as I go. Does anyone by any chance have schematics for the two pieces? I cant find much on the net.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sometimes you luck out - Hornlover 08:37:48 11/25/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.