Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

My nostalgia system (vintage, faux vintage and not vintage amalgamation). Pictures . . .

I'm not sure if this system rates in this forum, but it's a lot of fun. And most of the components have some meaning for me.

The turntable is a Philips 877 semi-auto (plastic fantastic), which was the second from the top of that series. When I was 13 in 1978, my parents gave me my first "real" stereo system, and it included the entry level deck in the same series. The 477 maybe?

The receiver is a Heathkit AR 1429. I bought it at a silent auction from a nice woman my wife and I know. I had it restored by the guy at Stereo Surgeons in East Hartford, CT. He was quite impressed by the quality of the components inside, especially the tuner and preamp section. It sounds great and is likely of similar vintage as the Philips I suppose? It's very heavy. And, it's so wide that I had to put it on the center shelf of this AV rack because it won't fit between the posts of any standard rack.

Next to the receiver is a Nakamichi DR-3, a 2 head tape deck. Nothing too special, but similar to what I owned back in the day and it's fine for the 50 or so cassettes I own.

On the bottom shelf is a Music Hall 25.3 DAC hooked up to an Apple Express by toslink, to which I stream music. Obviously NOT vintage, but . . . it does have a tubed output stage . . . oh, and it's my first ever external DAC for computer audio dating back to the first decade of this millennium, so . . . :-)

The speakers are the Model 6 by Cambridge Soundworks, which were in my mom's basement sitting unused. They are what I am calling "faux vintage" because they're only about 12 years old, but they're at least designed by Henry Kloss and I gather were based on the small Advent (even if they are made in China, have a polypropylene woofer and cabinets made of mdf wrapped in vinyl).

Anyway, it sounds pretty sweet and it's fun to have a system with a turntable, cassette deck and receiver. And the streaming capability is convenient, and sufficiently hidden in the shadows of the bottom shelf for discretion.

___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - My nostalgia system (vintage, faux vintage and not vintage amalgamation). Pictures . . . - JoshT 14:59:27 11/23/15 (27)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.