Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Vintage Does Not Always = Quality

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ UPDATE ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ UPDATE ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

It's 10 degrees tonight in West Central Minnesota - Needed a bonfire......

I spotted a "Vintage German Stereo Console" for $75 the other day on the web. It was located about a hour away, and since I had some early Christmas shopping to do in a nearby town I decided to swing by and have a look.

What looked good in pictures certainly didn't hold true in person - What a piece of $h!t.

I found it hard to believe that a German built console from the early 60's would be so poorly built - with chip board no less. I told the guy I wasn't interested, so he said make him an offer. $20 later I drove off with Loewe Opta 5876w in working order albeit cosmetically challenged.

Since I have an extensive wood working shop, I may build a new cabinet out of 3/4" Baltic birch, we'll see how motivated I am this winter. One thing is for certain; It won't come into my house the way it sits as I have a satanic hatred for mdf, chip, particle board! Why was that $h!t ever invented?

This just goes to show that not all vintage audio and audio related products were of excellent, great, or even decent quality. Sometime we lovers of vintage gear think that most things were built better back in the day. Not so - Lesson learned.....

Edits: 11/27/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Vintage Does Not Always = Quality - geezerrocket 08:17:36 11/22/15 (25)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.