Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

here is something to think about

i am an ee and mas in phy/math , i wound my first transformer in 1980 it was a simple ei but i was completely fascinated with the effect of magnetism and the magnetic domain,and electromagnets,i did not stumble into audio transformers until i met a guy called manley in 81 who showed a vtl amp driving 4 ls35a clamped and stacked like a line array with only 1 tweeter connected it blew my mind what that would do, as i only heard some leak and quad amps in friends parents homes
while studying i repaired some progear and musican amps and learned a lot more and visited a lot of manufactures etc fast forward to 89 i moved to kyoto and met some crazy audiophiles and was introduced to my first wide bandwith transformer(tango), i moved to nyc and started diy and fixing musican stuff(they were cool and had good weed)and started experimenting with mixing and experimenting with transformers, i also had kumoro wire one of my businesses for hvac/lightining i was that close to the diy world, so i have heard just about every transformer made as i sold lots of the stuff to japan and France(i am sorry i needed the money),i still use vintage and new stuff and can say they all have some unique character so every circuits deserve to try at least 2types but specs are similar so its really only the kind of wire used and how the load reacts
for example i have tried some peerless and dyna swaps in a mk 3 and altec amps and also some arcosound 330 and 350 ,i once installed a old monster fisher trans in a well known musican amp and he was floored with the increase volume he got and low end,i do less experiments now and have magnequest,elactraprint,tango,and the likes and lots of vintage from unknown to the arcosound 350 (animal)

now that i have done bragging lets talk science

i made a habit of attaching magnets or coiling my screwdrivers with dc so when i used them for repairs i always had control of the screws in tricky places
so i think its the actual quality of steel and its magnetic properties and i have no proof or even any data to support this but reading this wiki article might help
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

and yes transformer designers and manufactures should be given all the love and business and respect
sometimes i look at the little dyna st 35 or the magnequest rs 025 and wonder how these things make music ,must be black magic
Silence is golden duct tape is silver

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.