Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: My amp plan

"After that someone gave me a set of boards that would be the last step
Any sugestions. Want to keep it stock as possible"

Not clear on what you are asking here. Are you saying that you already have a different set of PC boards or are you asking for opinions on the different replacement boards vs. keeping it original in one way or another?

The original phenolic PC boards are problematic for one reason only. That reason is this: during rework, the pads and traces delaminate (separate/lift) from the phenolic substrate rather easily. However, with the right kind of rework tools, this problem can be minimized, and the original boards can still be perfectly good. However, it takes diligence with a reasonably skilled hand.

If you want to keep it as close as possible to original, and if the original phenolic PC boards are too difficult to work with, then I'd recommend the new dynakitparts.com replacement boards, which duplicate the original Dynaco circuit. Yes, you'd need either 7199 tubes (which can still be had if you look around on eBay or with some tube sellers) or the more readily available 6GH8A with the appropriate adapter also available from dynakitparts.com

Some in DIYdom seem to believe that the original Dynaco circuits don't have what it takes compared with the various mods. But, my experience comparing my dynakitparts.com Stereo 70 with my other amplifiers (Cary, McIntosh, Parasound) clearly indicates otherwise. IMO a properly functioning Dynaco original circuit with some refreshed parts is still a fine sounding amplifier that may be preferable to the modded versions according to personal taste.

Edits: 10/29/15 10/29/15 10/29/15 10/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.