Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: A and B speaker use.

Speaker impedance varies with frequency, and some speaker have deep but narrow impedance dips at certain frequencies, usually around the resonance frequency. Others far less so.

Can you find impedance curves for your speakers? I think you would be OK with two 8-ohm pairs if they are a true 8-ohms and without significant dips that fall below 4 ohms. It would also be nice if the lowest dips for each pair occurred at quite different frequencies.

Playing two pairs loudly also results in more potential problems.

Another option would to be put a 4-ohm resistor in series on each side for one of the pairs, but that will cause that pair to play lower and may mess up stuff like the receiver damping factor.

Modern surround sound systems are designed to handle 3+ pairs of speakers at once, and do not seem to be prone to blowing up, tho I did trip the breakers on my 6.1 Pioneer playing the "Master and Commander" DVD fairly loudly. Fortunately, the unit reset and there was no permanent damage. It was the cannon fire that did it I'm sure as it happened during a ship gun battle. Has not happened again.Just when I said to myself "this is quite realistic" the receiver went quiet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.