Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Why Is Vintage Stuff So......

Hi
I just read that guy's review of the citation I and II copies. Wow, he knows very little, but tries to sound authoritative. For example he talks about how the citation I (new) preamp has switches rather than continuous tone controls and how they are truly out of circuit in one position. That this is somehow better than the original which had continuous tone controls. Well, gee, I have rebuilt over 50 citation I preamps (the original ones) and guess what... every one of them had switches for tone controls and they are out of circuit when at 12 o'clock. Never seen a continuous tone control on a citation I preamp. Then he talks about how the original citation II amp was 50 watts per channel. Ummm, I have rebuilt about 70 of them and they are 60 watts / ch and they are really about 65 watts/ch when rebuilt.... Guy knows nothing, but writes like he does:) I just love the audio press.

Anyway, yes, modern tube gear can be expensive. I agree. But you can fix it one day if it is well designed. The thing is, that the vintage gear that is 40+ years old needs to be rebuilt too and that brings the price of it up. But most of it can be restored to run another 40 years. Try that with a lot of modern gear.....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.