Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Old thread but...

I came across it while doing a search and want to offer some "IMO" and "FWIW" thoughts for someone else doing a search on this subject.

from the original post, "Was there a reason that they didn't take off like their fathers of years before?"

They were made in a limited production run so there was nothing to "take off".

I have had the 8b/7c/10b combo (originals) for years and went looking for a pair of 9's to complete the dream. These are hard enough to find, reissue or original, but I did find a pair of originals and am so thankful I will be able to listen to these for as long as I can or am able. No comment on the reissue as I haven't heard them but I know I would have always wondered what the originals sounded like if I had gotten the reissue first.

I can say this about the originals...To my ears (and that's all anybody can opine about) the 9's are an extremely enjoyable amp to listen to. Like they were engineered for sound first and not "specs".

Amps that I find the most enjoyable are and have been: Nelson Pass's Class A amps and some extremely well made 300b and 2a3 amps. Those are what my ears want more of. What surprised me was the el34 based Marantz 8b. Mated with the their 7c, I can get lost listening to them all day long. It was a gamble on the 9's, based on what they sell for, but I won.

If you love music, I think you would love these Marantz pieces.

Edits: 10/04/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Old thread but... - onemug 10:16:46 10/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.