Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Too small a stylus is like driving with tires rubbing curbside

If you use too small a stylus on shellac 78s, even after one play, I guarantee you will rub off black crud from the chafe which will deposit on the stylus tip.

Even a 2 mil stylus, called the "universal size" but known as the compromise size, can easily damage shellac discs designed for 3 mil styli. Some cartridge and stylus manufacturers offered 2.7 mil, rather than 3 mil, as replacement styli so we could "avoid the worn, scratchy groove areas" affected by the too typical worn needles used in the "good old days."

If you research the stereo preamps of the early stereo era, 1958 to 1962, you will see that some classic stereo control units did not offer a summed L+R mono choice in playback. Instead, they offered L or R channel mono playback to effectively offer a way of reducing worn groove noise; using only one groove wall. This is a most unfortunate historical event, as classic preamps like the Mc C-20 and Pilot 210, as well as more than a few others, would require a modified/rewired or replaced switch to accommodate a summed mono signal. Many stereo preamps also avoided and still avoid offering "stereo reverse" as a "mode" option. Oh well....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Too small a stylus is like driving with tires rubbing curbside - Interstage Tranny 07:50:09 09/24/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.