Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: A few things to consider

Hi Russ, I have 2 preamps, I have 2 set ups going. One is a passive switch box with 2 separate volume controls. All gold and silver in the wire and jacks.I built that in 1990 and always believe in the less is more theory about preamps. The other is a Ace Zero Distortion preamp from 1974 that has a rare black faceplate. I saw an article in AudioXpress about a transformer based passive preamp.I made one and used a Dyna PAM-1 chassis. The holes for my jacks were already drilled! At the same time I was wondering about a stripped down version of the PAM using real good parts. A guy named Clyde the Cat sent me back a PAM schematic with what I'd have to do to remove the tone controls from the circuit. Frank VanAlstine wrote in an agreed with the Cat. The article with pictures I took is on the Audio Circle another forum. Russ, I have some PAM-1's and I have the urge to solder again, now that I've been on the wagon for a several months. I think I know why this bug has hit me. It's cable tv. There are 2 guys that oddly have their jacket sleeves ripped off. Danny the (Count) and Rick from American Restoration. One restores old cars and the other everything else. I think my idolization of watching them restore stuff has a lot to do with me getting the PAMs going. I have nothing to loose except getting electrocuted! Keep on writing Russ, yours was a great letter so I wanted to explain my madness.....keep in touch...Mark Korda

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A few things to consider - mark.korda@myfairpoint.net 10:32:35 09/21/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.