Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: A few things to consider

Consider what we need a preamp to do.

1) It picks between sources. In the past we might have had a phono, tape deck, tuner, etc. So what do you have? If only a CD/DVD why do you need a selector switch?

2) It provides enough voltage gain to allow sources to drive an amp to full power/clipping. For tube amps this was about 2 volts RMS. Many solid state amps need less. Today a CD/DVD player puts out 2 volts RMS easy.

3) It provided impedance matching. This is a little harder to understand. Best I can do. Think of voltage gain as how fast a car can go. Think of low output impedance as a measure of how fast a car/truck can go when pulling a heavy load. A porsche might do 140 MPH but it won't pull a 40 foot boat or motor home up a mountain. Typically tube amps don't need a low output impedance preamp (but it helps) whereas solid state amps do.

So think about what you need. What are your sources? How many do you have? What is their voltage and output impedance? What do your amps need? Are you building only for current amps or anything that happens in the future?

In short if your only source is CD/DVD then they have enough MPH and torque to drive your amps up the steepest mountain at any desired speed. Anything and everthing in the PAM only gets in the way and degrades performance. Better to buy a quality DAC and do volume control on the digital side (or add a pot to input of amps).

If you are a vinyl addict than you do need a preamp/phono stage. I'll wait to hear more before I say more. You have enough to consider, including why others have tried to talk you out of this path.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A few things to consider - Russ57 18:39:27 09/19/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.