Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: A few things to consider

Hi Russ57, thanks so much for your help.When you back up a question with an answer that gives a reason or to me a lesson learned, that's the best. The wire comparison was just that. Before you did answer me about the size of resistors I called up Frank VanAlStine and he told me about everything you did. But he didn't give me time to explain everything.A few years ago I was using the cases,knobs, of the PAM-1's to do other projects in. One was a transformer assisted passive preamp. The holes for the jacks in the PAM fit the new gold jacks perfectly. I kept looking at the PAM and wondered what it would perform like if I could remove the tone controls. A guy on Audio Circle, Clyde the Cat had an answer that even Frank thought was right. The Cat drew some lines on the schematic for me to do. If in theory if I did that, put in gold jacks, eliminated the loudness switch and the tape monitor and found a good 500k stepped volume from say Goldpoint, wouldn't I have something. I know a Ferrari can outperform a Ford model T, but I want the fun of restoration of the old,(PAM), and state of the art can be left to guys like Nelson Pass ect... One of Franks statements was if I want a project to do build radio controlled model planes. That just fueled my fire to complete this project, and I'm going to figure out a new selector switch system like the new PAS mod(Latino's I think) seen on Ebay. I bought all the Vishay resistors needed, 1/2 watt yesterday from Mouser for 12 bucks for both units. I want the fun of restoring something exactly as old as me,58. I will try to upload the process mentioned in Audio Circle on the tone control removing. It's there,if not under their vintage it's under tubes or DIY,I'll find it. I made copies with my now gone scanner. With everything all new and even closer in tolorence, powered by Mark 3 octal output plugs, would this not meet the specs stated in the manual? I thought the specs measured pretty good. Cap research for ordering is next then I think after being all stripped down I'll be ready to build. I want you guys to see the tone control issue and see if it can be done with your opinions...thanks...Mark Korda

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.