Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: A few things to consider

A higher than needed wattage resistor might offer "safety factor" for the resistor.....but it offers less protetion for more important items like tubes. It is like using a 30 amp circuit breaker on 20 amp wire. Nice for the breaker but not nice for the wire.

Metal oxides suck. On most vintage schematics all resistors are 1/2 watt unless noted. 510 ohm is a standard resistor value so nothing special needed there.

That preamp isn't such a great one. I kinda hate to see you put boutique parts in it. A normal quality carbon film resistor such as you get from mouser/digikey/allied and orange drop caps are more than good enough. PEC pots are fine for volume control. Save the Percy parts for a high quality design. The PAM circuit isn't going to know the difference. Better to splurge on telefunken tubes for it.

The downfall of most vintage preamps are all the tone control circuits and rotary switches. They also tend to have way too much gain. If you don't have a turntable most preamps these days need to have negative gain!

A preamp is so easy to make from scratch. Phono stages are a different matter. The original Foreplay from Bottlehead is a decent cheap starting point....and WAY better than the PAM-1. Again only saying this because I hate to see you dump money into a loser.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.