Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

The best advice I can offer,

given your admitted lack of knowledge about audio, would be to find a service that makes digital transfers. No offense intended but this is not a simple project.

As Poinzy points out, different needles (stylus tips) are necessary for each type of record - stereo LP, older mono LP and 45s, and 78s. Then depending on how old the 78s might be even they may need various sized styli. Then comes the subject of speed for your 78s. Those produced after WW 2 may likely be 78 RPM, but earlier recordings and non-US records may have other speeds different enough to change pitch. Lastly you should consider the EQ (equalization) utilized to make the recordings. Beginning around 1955 many record companies adopted the new RIAA standard. But it was a full decade before most utilized that. And prior to 1955 there were multiple equalizations utilized by different record companies, particularly with 78s. Without going into detail here just understand this can affect both the lows (bass) and highs (treble) in the sound of the playback.

Now all of this addresses only the playback of your records. It does not touch on the needs to convert the analog signal to digital to burn CDs.

So, are you still interested in doing all this yourself -- after you've spent the time to become familiar with the equipment you already own?

Whichever, I wish you success.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing, if you can fake that you've got it made." Groucho

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The best advice I can offer, - M3 lover 09:27:47 09/01/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.