Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: That's way too general a statement

This is also too general. Sorry, but I do get your point. There are occasions where a repair of even mid fi stuff is worth doing. We all know most old tube gear is worth repairing. Sansui though is mid fi tube gear unlike HK, Eico, Sherwood and Mac and not all models of theirs.

There are places and certain repairs that are still not expensive and worth doing. Most times in my opinion 70-80's SS mid-fi is cheaper to replace with a used piece of 70-80's SS mid-fi (Craigslist/eBay etc.) and yes there are exceptions.

There are a lot of posts on AA where we cannot generalize and a few where we can. Just goes to prove we need to take things on an item by item basis. I wouldn't have paid $75 for the check out fee on that Yamaha. Our shop had a $50 deposit until 2004 and if you refused the estimate the $50 was not refunded but turned into a store credit. The repair prices the OP quoted were borderline silly.

E
T

ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.