Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: That's way too general a statement

Ok, yes, VINTAGE tube equipment is usually worth investing money in, as we all know, especially things you want to keep for a long time and use frequently. Still, if you bring it to a brick+mortar repair shop it will cost you as much as the component is worth to restore it, which is fine if you love it and want to keep it forever. MODERN electronics are disposable, and often can't be repaired. Try and get a 1 or 2 year old TV repaired. It's much cheaper to buy a new one with the latest features. Plus you don't even know if it CAN be repaired.

And as far as tube gear goes, I recall about a year ago following an auction on eBay. Someone had a sansui tube receiver and took it to a shop and had a full restoration done with boutique caps. If memory serves, he spent well over 600 on the restoration plus whatever he spent to buy it initially. He tried to get 1100 for it, then when it didn't sell, he put it on again for 900. At the time, working ones were selling on eBay for half that.
I think if you have classic tube gear, it's definitely worth spending the money to restore if you want to keep and use it. You'd spend more money on modern "High End" tube gear and the vintage classics would probably sound better as well.
In my opinion.
--Matt

"When you think everything is someone else's fault, you will suffer a lot."
--Dalai Lama

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.