Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Shure M65 is a great platform...& the others...

I too enjoy the M65. With some upgrades, the simple phono stage is still a contender. It provided a huge enjoyment factor here.

Your other mentioned tube preamps use passive EQ, so I wonder if you notice a "different" sound with them. While the early Sherwood 5000 might be worthwhile, like the Eico HF-81, these classics prove new is not better...

Concerning the Marantz ss integrateds, did you use the newer Elna Silmic or Silmic II electros ? Their sonics are revered in online opinions. I like the Marantz 1060 for what it is, as I can also enjoy the Advent 300, until I turn on the tube gear. The original Apt pre deserves the resurgence it is getting. If I could get a 3D image out of that phono stage, I too would rave. Perhaps, with new Siltec electros and film coupling caps, the Advent 300 and Apt preamps could be contenders...Have you heard the early Phase Linear 2000 or 4000 phono stages ? Like the Apt, they are impressive phono preamps...At this time, the tubes still win IMHO...Enjoy !

Edits: 08/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.