Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Paragon preamps....

Allegedly 400 model 12/12As were sold; the 12s were point to point wired while the 12As had a board. The elusive 10 model was similar to the 12 and only a handful were known to exist. Apparently only 250 E preamps exist. The E or "System E Audio Command Module" preamp is a sleek looking, solid wood sides equipped, no frills stereo preamp. With no tone controls, minimum switching for function, mono/stereo, tape monitor, Low filter and only Balance and Volume controls, plus the external, very beefy cap storage bank power supply, these were always sought after preamps.

The phono stage should be identical to the 10/12/12A with a cascode input 12AX7, cap coupled to 1/2 12AX7 then direct coupled to a 12AX7 cathode follower sending active feedback EQ back to the first cascode stack AX7 cathode. A simple line stage used 1/2 12AX7 cap coupled to the output tube plate follower with a feedback loop from line output tube plate to first line stage tube cathode; thus six 12AX7 tubes in total. Amperex or Telefunken tubes were recommended by the good folks at Paragon and ADI...

I have seen a few versions of the E. They were popular on the coasts during the late '70s/early '80s. Wooden side panels are either solid oak or walnut. Some versions have no shielded wire to or from the function switch, (which can cause crosstalk between sources if source levels can not be minimized at the sources). Some have one phono while some can switch three phono setups. I have a three phono, oak side version, which I traded an E.H. Scott 800 with motorized tuner and shiny chrome amp to get; in 1980 ! I guess the hard-core collector who made the trade with me undervalued the Paragon pre because it had "added" phone plugs and some scratches. Later, I noticed my version even had 1% plate load resistors, so I added some more matched, low tolerance parts and upgraded some original Electrocube caps. It still sings nicely today, having gone thru quite a few tube rolling sessions. As a phono stage or a full function preamp, it is hard to beat.

In the mid '80s, I used RCA silver PP2A3 theater amps which needed 8V of drive for their input driver tube. While the Paragon E could make nice music together, the E phono stage into my Lafayette KT-600 line stage was a better match, IMHO. My KT-600 or Eico HF-85 line stages are my preference as both the Laf and Eico have incredible drive abilities in my experiences. Someday, I might build "my special E version" which would be including a stereo reverse switch and even some more mode switching on the plate follower line stage, along with the fine E phono stage. I applaud Bruce Moore and Mark Deneen for their incredible designs during the short Paragon era, as well as Bruce's involvement with the early Audible Illusions and Precision Fidelity hey days...

Edits: 09/06/15 09/06/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.