Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I was thinking of building one just like this

This is a point that has been previously discussed as I posted once about my molestation habits.

I am not a collector, but I can understand those who collect.

They don't care if the equipment works, it needs to be 100% original. thats fine for collectors.

The habit I have is to make equipment safe to use, this means a meticulous inspection and test regimen.

Then, what follows is any required minimalist true to the original repairs needed to make it safe to use.

This proudly makes me an Amp Molester, and I am listed on the Amp Molester register in my area so I don't get left alone with any ST70's :).

The folly comes from taking collector grade equipment and getting in the habit of using it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Precious Output and Power Transformers have perished, along with innocent tubes.

Some take the risk, I was one of them, until I smoked a Scott LC21 Power Transformer, and then a Harman A700 Output Transformer.

Oh well... this is why I am an inmate. Locked behind a speaker grille!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I was thinking of building one just like this - TimeConstant 18:23:05 08/07/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.