Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Making predictions

Making predictions about anything is always difficult, but in particular when predictions are about the future.

As predictions go out T, T=1, T+2,.... the error rate increases exponentially.

A prediction applying 30 years from now is all but impossible to make accurately. Think not only about the huge errors in this movie, but also how 2015 was envisioned from the perspective of the year 1985 in Back to the Future Part II. OK, we did get big window-sized flat panel devices, but cars were supposed to be able to fly and we see a host of other technologies that never happened. WE DID get restaurants with ipads and smart phones, only hinted at in the BTTF movie.

Take a look at the electronics. It shows some flat panel screens, but everything, oddly, stayed at old fashioned 4:3 not 16:9, and by modern standards they look thick and clunky.

Will polar bears be extinct a mere 30 years from now as many are certain? I would not place a bet on that one either!

Why people think they can make accurate predictions on any subject 30 years out completely eludes me, and the very brightest minds are no better than the rest of us at doing this. The people that scare me the most are those who claim to have somehow developed complex computer models that can do this.

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Making predictions - DavidLD 15:09:10 08/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.