Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

U R Welcome for the HV Warnings !...1570 is AB2...Needs Power Drive....

The 811s are positively biased; between +1 and +2.2 on the grids in 1570s !
Class A amps are negatively biased and most A1 amps simply require voltage gain. That is why we have seen the rebirth of WE 91A type front ends with pentodes driving triodes. Since the late '80s, French and Asian designers have spoken/written how the distortion products of pentodes are complimentary to the triode opts' distortion. Be that as it may, I favor all triodes....

Power drive is always a good thing; like having "reserve power" for loud passages. Power drive requires low grid impedance; hence cathode followers or interstage trannies with 1:1 or Step-Down Ratios. Have you seen the Japanese MJ or other experimenter books/magazines ? Every issue seems to have had at least one amp, from over a dozen schematics per issue, with a SE triode amp driven by a power tube or a cathode follower. Some have feedback; even around an IT ! Why this topology ? Because these tricks help an opt tube to give a bit more output. When we are dealing with a flea power amp, it can sound better if an extra watt or two can be pushed on signal peaks.

Having tried many topologies for SE or PP, including over a decade with Class A PP triodes using a step-up intertsage tranny, I now have almost two decades using Power Drive with 2A3s or 45s. Just as an aside, the absolute world reference triode amps through the years was/is Brook ! Their supreme 30 Watter uses power drive. The 1950 Peerless A-100 amp that pushes 18W out of back-biased PP 6B4s, also uses power drive; with a pentode as the amp input tube...thumb through those magazines my friend...online research is inadequate...ENJOY !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • U R Welcome for the HV Warnings !...1570 is AB2...Needs Power Drive.... - Interstage Tranny 09:54:59 08/02/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.