Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Odd discovery inside a 43 year old Fender amp

Oh yes, one never knows... "Bad Sponge Count" strikes again !

Around 1992 I horsetraded something or other piece of gear for a blackface Fender MusicMaster head. The owner was an 18 year old "kid" starting out playing guitar in a band. It was his first amp. But after I repaired its non-functional reverb stage, it came back to my shop soon with the same problem.
And every time he transported it, a resistor would blow. On the last repair job I made prior to making the trade, as I was sliding the chassis back into its tolex-covered enclosure, I thought I saw something strange lying below the tagboard-to-controls wiring.

Sure enough, I fished out a small, high quality pair of chain-nosed pliers, which was stamped with "F-11". The tool had apparently been left in there since its final assembly in Fullerton. When the amp was jostled around it would short some point in the reverb section and repeat the cycle. Free tools provided with your new Fender Amp? Oops.

Please, mine your own bismuth, so you won't be mining mine !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Odd discovery inside a 43 year old Fender amp - DEAF AS A BAT 08:15:16 07/28/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.