Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Has anyone built the new Dynaco ST-35 kit?

I purchased one of the last remaining ST-35 Clone Chassis on Ebay in 2010. The fellah who used to sell them also provided them to Triode Electronics. But they are no longer available.

Apart from mistakes on the Silk Screening, the concept of making a ST35 Chassis in the likes of the ST-70 form factor makes the layout look good from an aesthetic point of view.

In my clone I upped the Power Supply capacitance to 200uF/C-354 Choke/200uF.

The amp I made also uses a Dynakit Cathode Bias PC Board so I can adjust each EL84 individually.

The Output and Power Transformers I use were sourced from Dynakit. The C354 Choke from Ebay and the PC boards (of which I have 9 sets in stock to make more of these amps) were puchased un-stuffed from a Chinese fellah at my behest. Having had the experience of using the light brown PC boards one finds for sale, these are brittle and the PC traces lift easily when we get the urge to swap caps, I have the Green Epoxy Boards, heavier duty.

The ST35 Clone I made works super well, and I do plan to have the Chassis reproduced locally, powder coated to create a run of these amps for future use as kits to be made of built and made to order with whatever parts one can muster.

Here's a photo of the resulting amp, I am playing it now enjoying a morning session of Diana Krall and Vangelis.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.