Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I agree with Timbo

Check out the EFB modification for your ST-35. It only costs a few dollars in parts, and the measured as well as the subjective performance of the amp will improve. Not to mention that your output tubes will last a lot longer. Jim McShane didn't want to sell me a quad of Gold Lion EL84s for use in my SCA-35 until he found out I was doing the EFB mod. Then he was happy to, because the tubes see 27 mA of current after EFB, as opposed to 35 mA prior.

As for the PAS...I did the David Vorhis "Last PAS" mod on one of mine many years ago, and am still using it. At the very least, I'd follow the suggestions given by a few other posters, and upgrade the filament supply with schottky diodes and cram in as many µF as you can fit.

My first mod years ago was to a stock PAS, and I was quite disappointed. I added a couple of 1N4007s and two 7500 µF caps to the filament supply, and it sounded great. The reason I was disappointed was because it actually sounded better than my Audio Research SP3-A-1 which had, at one time been considered by some to be the best preamp made. I couldn't believe that a "lowly" Dyna PAS with a few dollars in parts could surpass it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.