Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Tube Amp Vintage Jacks

Hi. thanks you guys for the tips. I held off on the Brasso, probably because of the messy factor. Alpha Al I never thought of the corrosive effect. Awe-D-O-File, the Dremel drill was a good idea but the tips I have are scattered and I need to put a Heathkit AA-32, 8 watt stereo tube amp to fill in for my amp that needs a fix. Dee Eye, when the nickel plating wears off, what metal is underneath? This is what I did for the inside.I cut a small piece of fine grit sandpaper the size of a matchbook. I folded one side in as small as my fingers could make it. I started to roll it up like a joint making it as pin sized as I could concentrating on one end so it started looking like a funnel.Once the funnel tip made it inside the jack the sandpaper pin joint tool unraveled to the shape of the inside jack and could be spun freely and pushed back and forth.You can see the gray oxide on the tan colored sandpaper. After what I learned from you guys I guess this should only be a quick fix.I thought the old jacks were solid nickel and didn't think of the plating.Thanks for your direction and still want to hear any other ways to shine things up....Mark.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.