Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Dyna PAS3X, SDS PSU Board and some Wine

I am sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out why.

About two years ago I purchased un un-built Dynaco PAS3X, a few missing parts but most of the Kit was intact, well apart from a soldering error on the Channel Selector Switch, was this Factory or deliberate not sure, as I think these parts came factory pre-assembled..

Okay here is my story.

Soon after getting the PAS3X built the Selenium Rectiifiers pooped out with a loud POP.

I decide to order an SDS PSU Board and replace it.

I did just that and decided to use the Diodes instead of the 12X4 Tube Rectifier for whatever reason, I thought to myself "less load on the Power Transformer".

So..... two years later, last night I decided to modify the PAS3X and re-install the stock Dynaco labeled 12X4 Rectifier Tube.

The sonic difference is HUGE. Apart from a loss of upper treble grain, the sound is totally relaxed, with air between the instruments and the voices are sublime.

Is there really that much of a difference between the 12X4 and a pair of Diodes?

Of is this a case of slightly lowered filament voltage on the 12AX7's now that the Tube Rectifier is loading the SDS board along with the filaments of the four tubes?

I have not had the chance to experience a Diode vs. Tube Rectifier thing in the past as normally it is one or the other, but this is a revelation.

I am not going back to the Diodes. The 12X4 stays in place and the sound is so much better I have to think Tube Rectifiers and Preamplifiers equal up to some type of synergy.

Thoughts?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Dyna PAS3X, SDS PSU Board and some Wine - TimeConstant 04:20:44 07/12/15 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.