Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I Encourage Everyone to Attend !!!!

We hi fi stereo collectors are a dying breed; to be sure. With less than 1 % of the population appreciating sound equipment, every venue to buy and sell needs our attention. The hobby needs our attention and to be tended to...

When my children were in high school, they each received a stereo system, including stereo tube amp, turntable and vinyl from me. As they attended college, ipods and mp3 players became the "new sound system" of choice. Each child gave back their gifted systems preferring the new "privatized" medium, but, with the clear understanding that vinyl and tubes sounded better than any digital formats then available. They also know that their digital formats sound great playing through tube amps and vintage stereo systems.

When docking stations became available, we quickly saw some tube amps incorporated into the docking systems. I was hoping the trend would grow, as the "stereo" hobby stateside was/is dwindling. Locally, a few years back, a Pennsylvania stereo "salon" dealer put on their first swap meet at a nearby summer camp location. With word of mouth and a bit of advertising, only a few "exhibitors" attended. The sponsoring stereo shop had a huge assortment available, including Manley amps and some cool docking station systems. Alas, the public turnout was minimal, with the shop reps not too happy. Still vowing to have another show, there was not to be another show...We are still waiting...

The esteemed Kutztown, PA Antique Radio shows at the Renningers Farmer's Market have become true audio "Happenings" occurring twice a year, in May and September. May I remind you all that their first show had very few "exhibitors" or attendees. By the third show event, the popularity grew to widespread, even national attendance. These antique radio events became overwhelmingly popular among the hifi crowds, as you all may have heard or seen via these forums. In fact, the last decade proves that stereo equipment collectors have just as many devotees attending as the radio collecting crowd, both from an exhibiting and public attending standpoint. With 100-150 or more "exhibitors" and literally thousands of attendees at each show, their modest, humble beginnings have matured into real events. Many exhibitors gather and set up sound systems for all to appreciate. Almost every other table is playing music or demonstrating gear.

So, any simple swap meet can expand and grow. With schools cancelling "humanities" programs and the audio-visual world seemingly concentrating around computer systems, personal "smart" phones or the few home theater systems, the next generation needs encouragement. Spread the word. Embrace the guitar and music equipment events. All musicians, even the young ones, know a bit about tubes and DIY audio potential. Spread the word and attend. Just like we used to say at the hamfests(amateur radio swapmeets, not barbecues), "You never know what you can find here..." unless you go...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I Encourage Everyone to Attend !!!! - Interstage Tranny 07:48:34 07/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.