Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Fisher KX-200

I got one from a guy to work on and it is a beauty now that I looked at it closely. K means kit and this was well built. It also likely got very little use. No resistors or parts on the underside show signs of heat, discoloration etc. I'd say this unit had very little use and was stored well. The colors on the resistors are brighter than anything I've ever seen from this era.

The power switch of all things is bad. I bypassed it using a VOM as the jumper so as to be able to monitor current consumption. It has all Fisher 12AX7's and several are weak but all function. I can't test the 7591's in my tester but are all GE's likely replaced all at once.

I did a bias, balance (the meter is in perfect condition and accurate which is rare) and played it for a few minutes and it really sounds good and more unbelievable is that it is DEAD QUIET. The selector switch is stuck in "tuner" however and I don't want to force it. I have stuff on it to soak overnight and we'll see in the morning.

I thought about a power switch mod but decided just to get a replacement from M.O. who has these that stack on back of the volume pot for vintage audio. It also has a Canadian kit sticker on it.

E
T

ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Fisher KX-200 - Awe-d-o-file 19:23:36 06/30/15 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.