Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Advent Evolution

Mark,

Thanks. It took me a while to break down and spend the money. The fact is that tweeter technology was still not very good in the late 60's and early 70's. Laser holography was the tool that finally allowed them to see what was happening. Before that, everyone was trying different approaches to try and get smooth response, good power handling, wide dispersion, and that could reach low enough to make a good two way. Henry Kloss's Advent tweeter was one of the better ones at the time. A lot of companies were still using cone tweeters.

I don't know if it's still true; but by the later '70's, the Advent had the largest sales volume of any speaker in terms of number of units. The JBL L-100 had the record for dollar volume. They sounded good, they measured well, they had nice looking cabinets, and they didn't cost a lot. The utility model was $102 each in 1970 and the walnut veneer was $114.

But time and technology move on and I have decided not to fight it any longer. I think I pushed what was possible with Advent drivers about as far as was practical. Advents first hit the stores at the end of 1969. That was 46 years ago this coming Fall.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Advent Evolution - Bold Eagle 12:18:35 06/29/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.