Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Advent Evolution

Dave,

It's nice to be back! I missed you guys; but I was into other hobbies and didn't have a lot to say.

No, I'm not into woodwork. In fact, I can't be. First, I live in a condo with no place to work; and secondly, I discovered about 30 years ago, that I'm allergic to sawdust. So, I repurpose good quality, existing enclosures. My Advent cabinets are actually replicas made for me by Kirby Gaal. The madisound web site says 1.5 cubic feet for a sealed box. That's based on a Qts of 0.7. I prefer a little peak in the bass with a slightly higher Q of around 0.8 to 0.85. The Advent cabinets are 1.6 cubic feet, and I wanted heavy fill to kill reflections and standing waves. That would reduce the Q to less than 0.7, so the series resistor was added to raise the Q.

I found that removing the small inductor in a New Advent actually reduces the bass a little too much, and I needed to add the value of the coil's DCR back in to get the bass right. Use of super low DCR coils can be a negative thing, depending on the bass tuning. The JBL L-110 uses an air core coil with a DCR of 0.6 ohms. Going to an iron core coil with lower DCR torpedoed the bass.

As configured, the speakers are optimized for my Rotel RB-1050 & NAD C350, both direct coupled SS amps. With tubes, I'd first take out the series R on the woofer, as the source impedance of a good tube amp is about that value. I'd probably also have to fiddle around with the cap on the tweeter.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Advent Evolution - Bold Eagle 10:00:40 06/26/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.