Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Nope

Thanks Brian. I was surprised that it was just the power switch (stacked on back of the volume pot) I've not seen one of those go yet. I've been repairing various types of tube gear for 25+ years. I do however feel that the first time you work on a particular unit you are at a distinct disadvantage. I feel this way about changing the brakes on a vehicle for the first time too. You gain so much actually working on the exact unit. When I was a bench tech I got so much better working a particular model after I had done about ten of them.

I've pulled one leg on all the components and checked the resistors with a VOM and the caps with an ESR meter too. He wants a total restore as he is keeping it not flipping it. Most of the original 12AX7's are weak or one side bad, and I need to test the 7591's this weekend on my friends tester as mine won't test them.

I took apart my first Macbook to repair it the other night and I can tell you the next one won't take 1/4th the time to disassemble. Thanks for chiming in. I used to have to repair various hand held and long pole high voltage probes for electric companies so I've fooled with, respect and know how to deal with quite high voltages.

E
T

ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

Edits: 06/11/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Nope - Awe-d-o-file 07:38:35 06/11/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.