Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: POLK SPEAKERS SDA 1.C

There's several "versions" of the SDA 1C.
Early production used blade/blade connector sockets for the SDA cable. Later production used pin/blade connectors. Of course, the SDA cable needs to have the same arrangement as the connector on the back of the speaker cabinet.

Not to fret, both styles are being replaced by aftermarket connectors when the speakers are upgraded by Polk aficionados.

There are SDA 1C "Studio" and SDA 1C "Real Wood" cabinets. I remember a discussion about the differences between these cabinets; it almost appears that the "Real Wood" cabinets were built on top of the Studio cabinet. The "Real Wood" style had real wood end caps, fabric side panels, and no recessed "base" like the Studios, and the "Real Wood" version was priced higher.

In the end, the 1C was--and is--a terrific speaker system. If all the drivers work and the cabinets are in decent condition, I'd drop $300 a pair tomorrow. Truthfully, I'd pay more than that--but there's none to be found where I am. (And what I really want is SDA-SRS 2 pin/blade, a 1C in a larger cabinet with a bigger passive radiator.)

I'm an original owner of SDA 1Bs, similar in style to the SDA 1C Studio version, but with different drivers and crossovers. Replacing crossover capacitors and other upgrades gave my 1Bs a new lease on life. I think they sound great, but the 1B cannot be made compatible with a non-common-ground amplifier. The 1C can have an isolation transformer put into the SDA interconnect cable for use with bridged or otherwise non-common-ground amps. Without that transformer, the 1C like all other Polk SDA speakers must have a common-ground amplifier.

I ran my 1Bs (4-ohm) with a Japanese "120 watt" receiver for about eight years before moving up to a real power amp. The 1C is a "6 ohm" nominal speaker, so should be even easier to drive.

Edits: 05/31/15 05/31/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.