Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Bingo...

Crazy Dave (not so crazy) nailed it. Naim does not want anyone looking inside their boxes or to see their schematics for one simple reason (I don't care what their official line is); stupid simple circuits and lots of cheap crappy parts. Most of the space is air (but it's magic Naim air). At least the case with everything I've looked at which is ten years old or more. They've got a great scam going so I don't expect that anything has changed in recent years.

And then there is their re-cap scam. Now I, along with most audiophiles, understand the importance of replacing electrolytic caps about every twenty years, especially if internal temperatures are high. Naim recommends every ten years in components that generate very little heat. Why? They charge 100s or dollars to change out a handful of of cheap caps, maybe taking an hour max in most of their components. Can't let the customer do this because Naim service techs have been endowed with magical powers, magical solder and magical parts that we mere mortals can only dream of. BT Barnum, blah, blah, blah.

Frankly, even at wholesale, I would argue that Naim is terrible value. Like I said, I did not last long as a dealer.
Open up your mind, in pours the trash. - Meat Puppets, 1987

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Bingo... - Vinyl Valet 12:21:08 05/15/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.