Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Recapping a McIntosh Amp

Hi. I have a McIntosh MC-2105 power amplifier in my system, recapped by Terry DeWick, that I adore. I got it about 5 years ago, and I have tried many other quality amps in my system but always come back to the McIntosh. I have been eager to try out the later and supposedly greater cousin of the MC-2105, the MC-2255, to see if I get a substantial improvement.

My big hesitation in regard to this is that I do not want to go through the process and expense of sending a MC-2255 to Terry DeWick. Shipping these big McIntosh things is expensive, arduous, and risky, and Terry has a huge backlog nowadays. Yet I think it is necessary, in order to get good performance, for the capacitors to be swapped out on this amp.

My question is this. I live in Philadelphia. I work full time, but my work schedule is very flexible, meaning that I could drive anywhere within a day's drive to hand-deliver the amplifier to a service technician. That means Terry is out, because I'm a while away from Tennessee where he is located. I think Terry's work is awesome, but I was wondering if another service tech in my area might be as good and as reliable as Terry? Does anyone have any recommendations or opinions on this? Also, for anyone with access to this information, could you possibly tell me the Blue Book price currently on a MC-2255 amp, in excellent condition?

Thanks,
Mike Todd

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Recapping a McIntosh Amp - mike555 08:31:31 05/13/15 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.