Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: You went a LITTLE crazy!!!!

I echo that I have never been impressed by the Mac solid state gear (well built but not sound that 'grabbed' me). The tube gear was always magical however. I always wanted a Mac tube pre-amp and looked and looked and listened and.....well finally came into a little bit of money and bought the C2300 used (that's why just a little crazy); could not tell it was ever used however as it is spotless.

In my system I would give it the highest compliment,very transparent, although changing out the Marantz 7T to the C2300 made the sound a fare bit more....well, tube-warm is the best I can come up with. I do indeed like the preamp. Still running original 12AX7's although historically I like to try different tubes (long stretches between change outs); have a nice set of Telefunken ready to go into it one of these days.

A lot of LP's on a Technetics TT through the preamp, through the Mac 240 and into 1978 Klipschorns. I bought a set of Crites' cross overs but have yet to change them out, the horns sound really fine as is to my ears and at the end of the day that's what counts!

Still deciding on course of action for the Marantz 7T, will probably rebuild but some unexpected expenses caught up with us recently so maybe not for awhile.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You went a LITTLE crazy!!!! - JamesNW 14:50:19 05/05/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.