Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Do You Consider The Reissued McIntosh Mc 275 To Be A Knockoff?

Do you consider the reissued McIntosh Mc 275 a knockoff?
If you do, fine. If you don't, fine.

I own a pristine Sherwood S-5000 that while good sounding in stock form, sounds fantastic now that Mike Samra worked his magic - This thing keeps getting better!

Kootenay's sentiments mirrored mine, albeit with a humble S-5000 rather than the vaunted Marantz. The original S-5000 sounded a bit thick in the middle and rolled off on top with a robust bottom that was somewhat bloated and loose.

AS (After Samra), There is just so much more detail while maintaining it's original character - no brightness what so ever. The bottom is tight, fast and extended - This may be due to the massive Russian Teflon coupling caps.

I think designers from the golden age would lust over today's available parts and if given the chance, would certainly upgrade their initial design.

Having stated that; Today's designers would probably love to have the great iron (transformers), along with tube selection of yesteryear - Telefunken, Amprex, RCA, Sylvania, Mullard, Westinghouse, Mazda, and on and on......

Even if I had the resources to compare vintage vs new transformers, tubes, and caps, I don't have the time. I have more important things to do while the weather is great. I didn't get a 1 handicap by sitting inside all day doing critical listening.

It's a interesting debate with no right or wrong answer(s). Have great weekend.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.