Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: HH Scott 240 power supply (w schem.)

The first cap is C1. I have four of these amps and I have a pair of its big brother,the 280.C1 is 20uf@600v..I put a 40uf at 600v film cap in there and I also put in a 1.5hy choke in place of the 33 ohm resistors.C3 is not really connected to the rect.A 10k resistor separates it from rectifier and it's actually another charging cap for the 420v source and the 400v source.
This amp is one that can greatly benefit from a film cap power supply.It doesn't need a ton of filtering because of the super high voltage but downstream for the reservoir caps for the 420v and 400v sources, I used a dual 100@500v JJ. Right off the 10k,R43,I put in a 35uf at 500v film cap.

Looking at R47 and R48; assuming a 66ohm/10w resistor was available in 1959, what would be the benefit of splitting it in half and using two 33's in series? I ask because it seems intentional...the same was done with R44 and R45. Maybe to help dissipate heat more efficiently?

I would say that's true..Scott did this on their integrated amps as well.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 04/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.