Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Attention all Sherwood S5000 Owners

The 7199 has gone the way of the Dodo; it's extinct. The best substitute (with rewired sockets) is the 6GH8, but that type is out of production and supplies are dwindling. AAMOF, all suitable pentode/triode types, like the 6U8 and 6BL8, are headed towards extinction too.

I suggest you buy several sets of power section small signal tubes, while it's still possible. A 2 tube set does not have to be "matched", but should come from a single plant and a single production run. Even that low level of selectivity may be difficult to achieve, given the dwindling supply situation.

There is hope, for the time when suitable pentode/triode tubes cease to be available. The excellent EF86 small signal pentode is in production and fits 9 pin mini sockets. OK, the voltage amplifier is taken care of, but the "concertina" phase splitter remains. Adding an additional 9 pin socket to the very limited space is not particularly feasible. However, "sand" rides to the rescue. The ZVN0545A TO92 case MOSFET is space efficient and it makes a nice, highly transparent, DC coupled "concertina" phase splitter.

If you are going to own "vintage" tube equipment, some technical skills are necessary. If you lack such skills and are unwilling to acquire them, you'd better have a very, very, "healthy" bank balance.

edit: fixed "typo"

Eli D.

Edits: 04/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.