Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Recommendations for a signal/function generator

Really just about any Fn generator will probably suffice. If you ever need a faster signal than they produce you can always just run the output through a high-speed logic gate with a Schmitt trigger input.

I have a couple, an oddball battery powered Wavetek (my wife used to work at the company) and a Chinese thing that used to be available under several brands which I bought used, I think mine's a B&K and goes to 2 MHz and has a built-in digital readout (counter). It's the one I use the most because it never has a dead battery.

Congratulations on getting a scope, I've been using them seriously since 1967 so it's hard for me to imagine not having one. Yet many people accomplish a lot without them. Somehow...

Here's an example of their flexibility: Many, many years ago I started lusting for a preamp with a remote volume control. Sooo, I trotted down to my dealer and bought one. A NAD of some nature. And the volume control worked fine but it didn't sound very good. So I dragged home a bunch of test equipment and tried to figure out what I was hearing. Well, all the routine tests had routine results so I decided to try some bizarre tests. I dumped a squarewave into it and looked at the delay time from the rising edge to ANY response at the output, I suppose vaguely it's tangental sensitivity.

Well the unit that sounded poorly was far slower responding than my old preamp or a different new one (an Adcom) which I ended up buying and liking. Now I wasn't comparing rise times really, just first discernible (with a scope) signal. Both my old preamp and the Adcom had a delay roughly in line with the propagation delay of the traces, the "bad-sounding" NAD was much slower. I wonder if what I was doing was a half-arse way to identify transient intermod distortion? The moral of the story is: See how much fun you can have with a scope?

Whether you need (want?) one or not depends... A lot of guys do accomplish quite a bit with a dedicated effort to trial and error and maybe a DVM. But I prefer seeing more what's going on and would be lost without one. Hope your's gives you similar satisfaction.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Recommendations for a signal/function generator - rick_m 22:48:56 04/18/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.