Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Eico HF-30 rectifier problems

I agree with the possible problem being traced back to the socket. It only takes a tiny piece of dirt or carbon track (quite common) between the pins, enough to make a voltage path or allow arcing. When these tubes were common we would dose them with carbon tet and mKe sure the sockets were absolutely clean and do the same with the entire tube, especially the base around the pins. Not sure what good cleaner(s) is available today or it there are better sockets available. When we replaced sockets, we always used a ceramic socket for the rectifier. A number of socket companies manufactured dedicated high voltage sockets but manufacturers generally did not use them, saving maybe $0.04 per unit. Not sure if there is a source for these any longer. Maybe the auction site or locate an old television. Those makers, especially the better b&w set makers tended to use the sockets more commonly. Lastly, there were solid state plug in substitutes for the tubes that did not exhibit flashback but as usual, there is controversy as to whether they affect the sound and so in a good or bad way. My take is that it should be no different than hard wiring a set of rectifiers when eliminating seleniums or a tube rectifier.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.