Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Audio Research SP3 restored

Just beautiful. The SP3a1 is just one of those all time special components.. After generations of designs there may be something better but that is not the issue. It is how far the bar for the best moved when it came out. For me and most, it was the first to dethrone the Marantz 7. In fact, I used to say it was what Sail and boys likely would have produced if the team had stayed together and Marantz was not in financial straights. It would have been a natural evolution.

It short comings weee few, hated the faceplate and knobs. Bill could have spent an extra $10 on them. They looked like something from a cottage industry manufacturer but, he was past that.

In side, I thought maybe change the carbon wafer controls for resistor attenuators. So, maybe another $100 at retail. Not a big deal. At that time most of my comrades loved mine but did not buy just because of the looks and stayed with their 7s.

I loved mine and with the Dual 50, the system was unbeatable. But, the Dual 5o required mortgaging the house for a tube change. The SP tubes never needed cbangeing even after 5 years of running. Lost it and the Dual 80 in the divorce along with lots of other great components. When I bought myair of D76as, I seriously thought about getting another. But with starting my new businesses it was more important to put the cash there. I am certain if I had, they would be with me today and I would have headed off in an entirely different direction in the hobby than I did.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Audio Research SP3 restored - Brian Levy 08:41:14 04/06/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.