Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: your swapmeet/thrift store vintage story

As far as I know there are no swapmeets around the Boise Idaho area and the thrift stores usually have nothing or someone else has the people working at the stores alerting them when something good comes in, so I've been doing okay on Craigslist instead.

I picked up a pair of Infinity RS 2.5s last year for $250. They only needed to have the woofer surrounds replaced and the cabinets refinished.

Last fall I bought a pair of (Craigslist) Infinity Quantum 2s for $50. The lady asked if I would be interested in the rest of her late husband's system and I replied that I might be, but I'd have to see what all there was. She had another gentleman who was interested in getting a receiver who got first dibs on any of the equipment. She called me when she got the stuff out of storage and brought it home.

I got there at the same time as the other guy did and we were both looking through the boxes she had sitting on her garage floor. The guy asked me if there was a receiver in the whole bunch and I told him no, that they were all separates. He said that separates were too complicated so he was not interested in any of it. Then the lady told me that whatever I wanted was mine if I just hauled it all away. I asked her if she was sure about that and she said to just take it all.

I loaded up my truck with a H-K Citation 14 tuner, a H-K Citation 17 preamp (tuner & preamp had a walnut cabinet), a H-K Citation 16 amplifier, H-K 500 tuner, Carver CD player, Pioneer PL-50A turntable, and a bunch of speaker wire and interconnects. It all looked to be in great condition and everything worked except for the CD player. The nice gal just wanted someone to have the equipment who would appreciate it as much as her husband did.

I'm sending the preamp off to get rebuilt this week. The amp goes next. I'm rebuilding the Quantum 2's myself and the late husband replaced the old Watkins woofers in these with the newer poly cone Watkins, so there's two less things to mess with. Anyway, that's my latest findings.

Larry D.

Edits: 04/05/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: your swapmeet/thrift store vintage story - lektrik 19:56:03 04/05/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.