Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Back in 1959 or so

Stereo was just coming out. My parents had a console Airline (Montgomery Ward) AM-FM radio with a mono record changer dating from 1948. I somehow discovered that the only thing that made a stereo record player different from mono was the stereo cartridge, which was able to pick up both channels of the stereo record groove, and of course, the vinyl stereo recording. I did, however, need a right channel, both the amp and speaker.

I ordered up a high-output crystal stereo cartridge (I think about $4 at Allied Radio). These were even higher output than ceramic cartridges. The right channel was a kid-style portable manual tone arm record player, from which I disconnected the cartridge wires from the portable's cartridge. I hooked two of the four terminals on the stereo cartridge to the tone-arm wires on the Wards console. I took a long pair of wires and connected them on one end to the other two terminals on the stereo cartridge, and the other ends to the two tone-arm wires on the little portable, which I placed about 8 ft from the console and its speaker.

There was an 8-inch full-range speaker in the Wards console, but just a little horizontal 4-incher built into the portable.

Obviously, my speakers were mis-matched, with most of the bass coming from the left channel console with the bigger 8-inch full range speaker, but surprisingly, this all worked, sort of.

The crystal cartridge fit into the tone arm of the 1948 console and had enough output so I was able to get a decent signal from it to the portable tone-arm wires for the right channel. Balance, of course, was handled simply by adjusting the volume on each unit. The fact that the little 4-inch speaker on the portable produced mainly the higher notes was not as big an issue as it might first seem, as the higher frequencies are mostly responsible for the directional effect in stereo (though I did not fully appreciate that at age 12). This was all-tube amplification, and the little amplifier in the portable was a two-tube unit, I think.

Even way back, I was able to come up with creative ideas within a very tight budget! :-)

Edits: 04/03/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Back in 1959 or so - DavidLD 17:13:31 04/03/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.