Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Ah much clearer now. Its fine. We just see things and do them different...

I just think its splitting hairs on allot of it.

To me using a mirror is a fine level of redundancy. Its a constantly updating backup on two drives. Easy to maintain as it can be the source also. And heck, those super worried can even plug a USB HD like you use, right into the unit for another backup layer. No big deal.

And no I have fault tolerance for my desktop. Back it up to my home made server all the time. A drive could crap out at any time. Wouldnt be a big deal to me. Im kinda waiting and hoping that thing kicks soon so I can build its next replacement. But yes running RAID 0 is risky, I agree. It why I brought up how this hasnt failed me yet in over 5 years. I know many others who have done the same. Not for everyone but its been fine for me.

I mentioned SSDs as you talked about using thumb drives. You know, flash based storage. These days with USB 3.0 and flash drives getting better, cheaper and faster. Its getting hard to tell em apart ;) So long as the internal controllers for SSDs and Thumb drives keep getting better, and they will, we will have little to tell them apart. Amazing stuff. Its the bus speeds holding em back for the most part. But intel already has that taken care of. No more need for PCIE controllers.

Thats a great system your dell. I used that same processor in a build of mine once. No reason to upgrade it unless the MB dies. Heck unless your doing nothing but rendering or encoding on it theres really nothing to tax that CPU for normal use.

Im not a fan of 2.5" magnetic drives VS 3.5" for home use. I like the durability of the larger counterpart (or my experience has shown this). Yes more space, weight and power. But if only used in the home, oh well. Just my take. But yes clearly the USB powered 2.5" is less hassle.

Nah you have a great setup. And your clearly more than proficient enough to make proper use of it. Again just our different takes on how to do the job. No big deal.

Enjoy your nice setup. And again, I love digital in music too. Were so lucky to have such abilities in today's world!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ah much clearer now. Its fine. We just see things and do them different... - 2chJunkie 10:47:40 03/23/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.