Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Ok thanks for the more detailed explanation. We can kindly agree to disagree on it...

The one BIG thing I have to stand by and am still quite puzzled you disagree with is my approach and its ease of use with far less complication.

Sorry, I thought I made it clear since I've already tried using RAID 1. I prefer the superior redundancy of maintaining five copies of the library while minimizing unnecessary wear and maximizing reliability. Complication? I update one volume weekly with new music folders.

For what its worth, the computer I use daily as my main desktop is running 2x WD Velociraptor Raptor 150 HDs in RAID 0 non stop for over 5 years now.

So, you choose to have no fault tolerance. I return to your earlier post about the inevitability of failure and agree.

On the notion of SSD drives... But when talking the 200+ gig needs of what were talking about they are not always practical or cost effective.

I agree. Was anyone talking about using them? When Win10 is available, I plan to purchase a small capacity one and install the OS on it for added speed. Then I'll ghost it. I'll continue to use spinning rust for storing user data.

Im still a bit fuzzy where you store all that data and on what.

Main system is a 12GB i7-860 based Dell Studio with a 2 TB Seagate drive. Backup drives are 500 GB - 1 TB USB drives at about $70/each. They live in a fire proof safe.

Edits: 03/23/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.