Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Thats fine if it fits the scale of data to dollar. But Im still a bit puzzled...

Keep in mind the original poster was talking about several thousand CDs.

Sure. My 850 album library (many of which are 24/96) consumes 190 GB. I use a 2 TB drive that cost me $85 and keep an identical model on the shelf.

Now I dont imagine he or many others actually go and take the time needed to rip that many CDs.

If you spend some time over at PC Audio, I think you'll find plenty of folks who have done so. The benefits of instantly accessing anything in your library across multiple systems via your smart phone or pad are huge. Once done, adding new content takes little time. I received my latest album from Amazon on Friday. Ripped the content which gets automatically tagged with album art and filed away the case most likely not to be taken out anytime soon. I played tracks from it several times on two systems without having to ferry the media about. I also downloaded a new selection from HD Tracks. Instant gratification!

Now with many other folks here (myself included) its goes beyond that capacity limit. So now your in the realm of VERY pricy flash storage.

I prefer to use higher capacity, faster and less expensive USB drives for backup duty. I also maintain copies of my wife's laptop, mine and about 500 GB of movies. Having said that, the easiest way to use a digital library is to put your content on such a stick (a 256 GB PNY model runs about $80) and plug them into an Oppo player. I do use lower capacity sticks for daily backup of my personal finance software and miscellaneous stuff.

Also the RAID device I mention is only a $175 small piece of hardware. So you add on another 2 $100 drives and your at $375.

The primary value of RAID is to protect against databases that are constantly getting updated as you find in a business environment. Digital libraries, by contrast, are largely static. I ran mirrored drives on my Dell for a while, but realized there really is no value to spinning (and wearing out) two drives simultaneously when I have greater redundancy with my USB drives. Each runs only an hour per month in rotation vs. 24/7 like the main drive.

Sorry I fail to see your angle. Dont fall into my take on some of us tech nerds ;)

The "angle" is called musical enjoyment. It is difficult to convey the incredible value of using a music server vs. shuffling about racks of jewel cases. BTW, I'm an IT professional. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.